Special Spice made with Pulses
split gram (pigeon pea) 50 gm
red chillies 5
curry leaves 20
asafoetida a pinch
Roast all the ingredients in a pan without oil. Roast them dry till the split gram turns colour and the red chillies become crisp. Let it cool. Then grind it to a fine powder. Add salt and grind again. Store in an airtight container.
When mixed with a spoonful of ghee it can become an accompaniment to a number of dishes like Dosa, Idli, Roti and Puri. This powder can be added to vegetables when they are being cooked. It can be eaten with rice. It can also be added to dal.
Procedure for preparing dal
1. Take a cup of split gram (pigeon pea) and cook it with a cup of water.
2. Take about four tomatoes and cut them into small pieces.
3. Take a pan and prepare for seasoning. Take a teaspoon of oil and roast some mustard and cumin seeds. When they pop up and crackle add a teaspoon of split bengal gram and split black gram.
4. Put the pieces of tomatoes and roast for 5 mts.
5. Add a pinch of turmeric powder, salt to taste and this powder.
6. Cut spinach into tiny pieces and add to this (optional). Cook for 2 mts.
7. Add the cooked dal and boil for 2 mts.
8. Add curry leaves and chopped coriander.
9. Serve it with rice or as a soup.
You can also put the Sambar Powder in the dal instead of the Paruppu podi.